Friday, October 1, 2010

Caesar Says: This Post Makes No Sense

Carpe Diem
I don't know where I was going when I drew Julius Caesar (yes, the resemblance is a little questionable I suppose), but I still felt the need to share him with the world. As I'm currently cramming all the information I can about cardiology, I've decided to fill this post with a cardiology fact of the day!

The difference between eccentric and concentric hypertrophy:

Eccentric hypertrophy: increased preload, hypertrophic sarcomeres added in series.

Associated causes: mitral/aortic regurgitation, left to right shunt
Associated cardiomyopathy: dilated cardiomyopathy

Concentric hypertrophy: increased afterload, hypertrophic sarcomeres added in parallel.

Associated causes: Hypertension, aortic stenosis
Associated cardiomyopathies: hypertrophic and restrictive cardiomyopathies

-----

The difference between systolic and diastolic dysfunction:

Systolic dysfunction: volume overload, decreased ventricular contraction and decreased ejection fraction.

Associated causes: ischemia, myocardial infarction, dilated cardiomyopathy

Diastolic dysfunctionresistance to filling and normal ejection fraction.

Associated causes: hypertension, aortic stenosis, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, restrictive cardiomyopathies

No comments:

Post a Comment