Sunday, October 24, 2010

Ventilation-Perfusion Ratio (V/Q)

"You have smoked yourself retarded." - Dave Chappelle from Half Baked
Is it just me or does the ventilation-perfusion ratio (V/Q) pictures in physiology books (BRS Physiology in particular) look like a bong?

I'm not an advocate of marijuana or any other mind-altering substance for the matter, but I can't help but place stoner comedies in my top three favorite movie genres. The best stoner films I've seen to date? 1. Half Baked 2. Pineapple Express 3. Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. 

As for actual learning points: when the V/Q ratio approaches 0, arterial blood gas numbers begin to look more like venous blood gas numbers. When the V/Q ratio approaches in infinity (WHO DIVIDES BY ZERO?! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?), alveolar blood gas numbers look like the gas numbers found in inspired air. 

No comments:

Post a Comment